Benjamin S. Hsiao, Professor
B.S. National Taiwan University, 1980
Ph.D. University of Connecticut, 1987
Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Massachusetts, 1987-1989
Phone: (631) 632-7793
Fax: (631) 632-6518
Vice President for Research and Chief Research Officer, Stony Brook University, 05/2012-12/2013
Chair, Chemistry Department, Stony Brook University, 2007-2012
Assistant (1997-98), Associate (1998-2002), Full (2002-) Professor, Chemistry Department, Stony Brook University
Staff Scientist, DuPont Company, 1989-1997
Adjunct Associate Professor, Materials Science, University of Delaware, 1994-1997
Spokesperson, X27C (Advanced Polymers Beamline), National Synchrotron Light Source, Brookhaven National Laboratory 1997-2012
Guest Professor, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Chinese Academic of Sciences, 2000-
Chang-Jiang Professor, Donghua University, Shanghai, China, 2008-
Visiting Professor, Beijing University of Chemical Technology, Shanghai, China, 2009-
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Macromolecular Science- Physics, 1995-
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Polymer Research, 1995-
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, High Performance Polymers, 1996-
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Chinese Journal and Applied Chemistry; 2003-
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Polymer, 2003-
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Macromolecules, 2010-
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, ACS Macro Letters, 2012-
Member, Advisory Board, American Chemical Society, Petroleum Research Fund, 2007-2012
Member, Board of Directors of Science and Technology Steering Committee (STSC), Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), 2010-2012
Member, Board of Directors, Long Island High Tech Incubator (LIHTI), 2012-
DuPont Young Professor Award, 1998
Mentor Awards, Research Institute at Stony Brook, 2000
Overseas Visiting Scholarship, National Science Council, Republic of China (Taiwan), 2002, 2006
Fellow, American Physical Society, 2002
Fellow, American Chemical Society, 2011
Fellow of American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), 2011
Journal of Controlled Release, Most Cited Paper 2004 Award, “Incorporation and Controlled Release of Hydrophilic Antibiotics Using Poly(lactide-co-glycolide) Based Electrospun Nanofibrous Membranes”, J. Controlled Release, 98(1) 47-56 (2004)
Licensed Innovation Award, Research Foundation of State University of New York, 2005
Special Creativity Award, Division of Materials Research, National Science Foundation, 2007-2009
Chang-Jiang Scholar, Education Ministry of China, 2008
Long Island Technology Hall of Fame, Patent of the Year Award, 2013
Molecular Science Frontier Lecture Professorship of Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2013
Charter Fellow, National Academy of Inventors, 2013
Polymer Science and Applications
In my laboratory, we are interested in understanding the structural and morphological development and manipulation of complex polymer systems during preparation and processing in real time. The focus of our research projects is the design, preparation, characterization and application of nanostructured soft condensed materials, such as fibers (one-dimensional orientation), films (two-dimensional orientation) and bulk material systems (three-dimensional orientation). My current research interests are mainly focused on the use of nanostructured materials for energy, environmental and medical applications.
We are interested in fundamental research of polymer crystallization. One ongoing project is orientation-induced crystallization of entangled polymer chains. The behavior of orientation-induced crystallization in polymers under flow and deformation has been investigated using in-situ X-ray techniques. We propose that molecular orientation affects the crystallization behavior of polymer melts in two different aspects: thermodynamic and hydrodynamic. The thermodynamic effect involves the reduction of entropy in oriented chains, which favors the formation of primary nuclei with small size and large density that are mainly responsible for the increase of crystallization rate. The hydrodynamic effect generates the landscape of molecular orientation in chains with different molecular weights, which is responsible for the resultant morphology such as shish, kebab or spherulite.
We are developing varying chemical and physical pathways to disperse nanostructured molecules and nanosize particles (e.g. nanotubes and layered silicates) in the polymer matrix at the molecular level. We found that the structure, property and processing relationships are dramatically different in nanocomposites as compared to their neat resin counterparts.
Synchrotron X-ray Scattering and Diffraction Technology Development
One unique characterization tool developed in this laboratory is the simultaneous small-angle x-ray scattering (SAXS) and wide-angle x-ray diffraction (WAXD) technique using synchrotron radiation. Dedicated to polymer research, the Advanced Polymers Participating Research Team (AP-PRT) was formed in 1997 to develop a synchrotron X-ray scattering beamline (X27C) at the National Synchrotron Light Source, Brookhaven National Laboratory. This facility, the first of its kind in the U.S., was funded by Stony Brook (Prof. B. Chu and I are spokespersons), government and industrial laboratories. The primary focus of this PRT is to investigate polymer structure, morphology and dynamics from atomic (1-20 Å) to microscopic scales (20 - 1000 Å) in real time and/or in-situ using simultaneous SAXS/WAXD techniques.
Absorbable Polymers for Medical Applications, Drug Delivery and Tissue Engineering
We have developed several unique processing techniques to fabricate nanostructured materials including (1) nonwoven membranes consisting of nanosize fibers, and (2) nanosize particles (10 - 500 nm). FDA-approved biodegradable polymers such as polyglycolide (PGA) and polylactide (PLA) homo- and copolymers are the base materials for forming the nanostructured scaffolds. The biodegradation rate as well as the drug (DNA and medicine) release rate are functions of fiber/particle size, morphology, porosity and chemical compositions, which can be precisely controlled by processing parameters. The major goal of this research is for medical applications, drug delivery and tissue engineering.
Breakthrough Nanofibrous Membrane Technology for Water Purification
Together with Prof. Benjamin Chu, we are focusing on the use of breakthrough nanofibrous membranes for water purification. The major innovation of our nanofiber technology is that membranes made of nanofiber materials in the non-woven format have drastically improved the flux capacity (e.g. often with many times flux increase) and thereby permitting lower operating pressures but retaining their resistance to fouling. Better flux means less time to filter the same amount of water, which in turn decreases energy consumption and increases cost efficiency. Better resistance to fouling refers to the ability to avoid clogging of the membrane pores by foreign matter, such as oil, detergents, biomacromolecules and salts that can accumulate during the purification process. The fouling resistance of our filters requires additional considerations on chemical composition and surface modifications.
PublicationsClick here for complete list of patents and articles.
Articles in Scientific Journals (2010-)
320. Yimin Mao, Feng Zuo, Jong Kahk Keum and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Crystallization Behavior of Isotactic Propylene-1-Hexene Random Copolymer Investigated by Time-Resolved SAXS/WAXD Techniques”, J Polym Sci. Polym Phys, 48(1), 26-32. (2010).
321. Jiali Cai, Chen Liu, Minmin Cai, Jie Zhu, Feng Zuo, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Richard A Gross, “Effects of molecular weight on poly(ω-pentadecalactone) mechanical and thermal properties”, Polymer, 51(5), 1088-1099 (2010).
322. Zhang, Kai; Wang, Xuefen; Yang, Yin; Wang, Lili; Zhu, Meifang; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Chu, Benjamin. “Aligned and molecularly oriented semihollow ultrafine polymer fiber yarns by a facile method”, Journal of Polymer Science, Part B: Polymer Physics, 48(10), 1118-1125 (2010).
323. Liming Cai, Yong-Cheng Shi, Lixia Rong, and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Debranching and crystallization of waxy maize starch in relation to enzyme digestibility”, Carbohydrate Polymers, 81(2), 385-393 (2010).
324. Wang, Xuefen; Zhang, Kai; Yang, Yin; Wang, Lili; Zhou, Zhe; Zhu, Meifang; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Chu, Benjamin. “Development of hydrophilic barrier layer on nanofibrous substrate as composite membrane via a facile route”, Journal of Membrane Science, 356(1-2), 110-116 (2010).
325. Yan Wang, Ji-Lin Pan, Yan-Hui Chen, Gan-Ji Zhong, Yimin Mao, Zhong-Ming Li, Liangbin Li and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Spatial Distribution of ω-Crystals in Metallocene-Made Isotactic Polypropylene Crystallized under Combined Thermal and Flow Fields”, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 114(20), 6806-6816 (2010).
326. Xu, Jia-Zhuang; Chen, Tao; Yang, Chuan-Lu; Li, Zhong-Ming; Mao, Yi-Min; Zeng, Bao-Qing; Hsiao, Benjamin S. “Isothermal Crystallization of Poly(L-lactide) Induced by Graphene Nanosheets and Carbon Nanotubes: A Comparative Study”, Macromolecules, 43(11), 5000-5008 (2010).
327. Masatoshi Tosaka, Shinzo Kohjiya, Yuko Ikeda, Shigeyuki Toki, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Molecular Orientation and Stress Relaxation during Strain-Induced Crystallization of Vulcanized Natural Rubber”, Polymer Journal, 42(6), 474-481 (2010).
328. Fanny Deplace, Zhigang Wang, Nathaniel A. Lynd, Atsushi Hotta, Anna E. Cherian, Jeffrey M. Rose, Geoffrey W. Coates, Fumihiko Shimizu, K Hirokane, Hisashi Ohtaki, F Yamada, Yong-Woo Shin, Lixia Rong, Jie Zhu, Shigeyuki Toki, Benjamin S. Hsaio, Glenn H. Fredrickson, Edward J. Kramer, “Processing-Structure-Mechanical Property Relationships of Semicrystalline Polyolefin based Block Copolymers”, J. Polym Sci. Polym Phys, 48(13), 1428-1437 (2010).
329. Hongyang Ma, Kyunghwan Yoon, Lixia Rong, Yimin Mao, Zhirui Mo, Dufei Fang, Zachary Hollander, Joseph Gaiteri, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu, “High Flux Thin-Film Nanofibrous Composite Ultrafiltration Membranes Containing Cellulose Barrier Layer”, Journal of Materials Chemistry (theme issue on Advanced Materials in Water Treatments), 20(22), 4692-4704 (2010).
330. S. Bouhelal, M. E. Cagiao, D. Benachour, B. Djellouli, L. Rong, B. S. Hsiao, F. J. Baltá-Calleja, “SAXS study of reversibly crosslinked isotactic polypropylene/clay nanocomposites”, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 117(6), 3262-3270 (2010).
331. Javier Carretero–González, Tiberio A. Ezquerra, Sureerut Amnuaypornsri, Shigeyuki Toki, Raquel Verdejo, A. Sanz, Jitladda Sakdapipanich, Benjamin S. Hsiao, and Miguel A. López–Manchado, “Molecular Dynamics of Natural Rubber as Revealed by Dielectric Spectroscopy: The Role of Natural Cross–linking”, Soft Matter, 6, 3636–3642 (2010).
332. Zhigang Wang, Yanhua Niu, Glenn H. Fredrickson, Edward J. Kramer, Yong-Woo Shin , Fumihiko Shimizu, Feng Zuo, Lixia Rong ,Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Step-Cycle Mechanical Processing of Gels of sPP-b-EPR-b-sPP Triblock Copolymer and Mineral Oil”, Macromolecules, 43(16), 6782-6788 (2010).
333. Yan-Hui Chen, Yi-Min Mao, Zhong-Ming Li and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Competitive Growth of α- and β-Crystals in β-Nucleated Isotactic Polypropylene under Shear Flow Field”, Macromolecules, 43(16), 6760-6771 (2010).
334. Pranav Nawani, Christian Burger, Mikhail Y. Gelfer, Lixia Rong, Benjamin Chu, Benjamin. S. Hsiao, Andy H. Tsou and Weiqing Weng, “Characterization of Nanoclay Orientation in Polymer Nanocomposite Film by Small-Angle X-Ray Scattering”, Polymer, 51, 5255-5266 (2010).
335. Ma, Hongyang; Yoon, Kyunghwan; Rong, Lixia; Shokralla, Mina; Kopot, Andrey; Wang, Xiao; Fang, Dufei; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Chu, Benjamin. “Thin-Film Nanofibrous Composite Ultrafiltration Membranes Based on Polyvinyl Alcohol Barrier Layer Containing Directional Water Channels” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 49(23), 11978-11984 (2010).
336. Lewis Yung, Hongyang Ma, Xiao Wang, Ran Wang, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu, “Fabrication of Thin-Film Nanofibrous Composite Membranes by Interfacial Polymerization using Ionic Liquids as Additives”, J. Membrane Science, 365(1-2), 52-58 (2010).
337. Maëva S. Tureau, Lixia Rong, Benjamin S. Hsiao, Thomas H. Epps, III, “Phase Behavior of Neat Triblock Copolymers and Copolymer/Homopolymer Blends Near Network Phase Windows”, Macromolecules, 43(21), 9039-9048 (2010).
338. Gan-Ji Zhong, Zhan-Chun Chen, Zhong-Ming Li, Kai-Zhi Shen, Liangbin Li, and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Shear Enhanced Crystallization and Tensile Behaviors of Oscillation Shear lnjection Molded Poly(ethyleneterephthalate)”, J. Macromolecular Sci. – Phys., 50(2), 383-397 (2011).
339. Yimin Mao, Christian Burger, Feng Zuo, Benjamin S. Hsiao, Aspy Mehta, Cynthia Mitchell and Andy H. Tsou, “Shear-Induced Crystallization of Propylene-1-Butylene Random Copolymer Revealed by Time-Resolved Wide-Angle X-Ray Scattering”, Macromolecules, 44, 558–565 (2011).
340. Hongyang Ma, Christian Burger, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu “Ultra-fine Polysaccharide Nanofibrous Membranes for Water Purification”, Biomacromolecules, 12, 970-976 (2011).
341. Jia-Zhuang Xu, Chen Chen, Yan Wang, Hu Tang, Zhong-Ming Li and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Graphene nanosheets and shear flow induced crystallization in isotactic polypropylene nanocomposites”, Macromolecules, 44(8), 2808-2818 (2011).
342. Feng Zuo, Yimin Mao, Xiaowei Li, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Effects of Block Architecture on Structure and Mechanical Properties of Olefin Block Copolymers under Uniaxial Deformation”, Macromolecules, 44(9), 3670-3673 (2011).
343. Shigeyuki Toki, Ryuichi Takagi, Masayoshi Ito, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Rupture, orientation and strain-induced crystallization of polymer chain and network in vulcanized polyisoprene during uniaxial deformation by in situ Electron Spin Resonance (ESR) and synchrotron X-ray analysis”, Polymer, 52(11), 2453-2459 (2011).
344. Jiali Caia, Benjamin S Hsiao, Richard A Gross, “Real-time structure changes during uniaxial stretching of poly(ω–pentadecalactone) by in-situ synchrotron WAXD/SAXS techniques”, Macromolecules, 44(10), 3874-3883 (2011).
345. Hongyang Ma, Christian Burger, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu “Ultra-Fine Cellulose Nanofibers: New Nano-Scale Materials for Water Purification", Journal of Materials Chemistry, 21 (21), 7507 - 7510 (2011).
346. Hongyang Ma, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu “Thin-Film Nanofibrous Composite Membranes Containing Cellulose or Chitin Barrier Layers Fabricated by Ionic Liquids”, Polymer, 52(12), 2594-2599 (2011).
347. Yi, Xin; Chen, Chen; Zhong, Gan-Ji; Xu, Ling; Tang, Jian-Hua; Ji, Xu; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Li, Zhong-Ming. “Suppressing the Skin-Core Structure of Injection-Molded Isotactic Polypropylene via Combination of an in situ Microfibrillar Network and an Interfacial Compatibilizer” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 115(23), 7497-7504. (2011).
348. Anna. Sato, Ran Wang, Hongyang Ma, Benjamin S. Hsiao, Benjamin Chu, “Novel Nanofibrous Scaffolds for Water Filtration with Bacteria and Virus Removal Capability”, Journal of Electron Microscopy, 60(3), 201–209 (2011). Editor’s Choice Article.
349. Masatoshi Tosaka, Shigeyuki Toki, Justin Che, Lixia Rong and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Development of Internal Fine Structure in Stretched Rubber Vulcanizates”, Journal of Polymer Science: Polymer Physics, 49(16), 1157-1162 (2011).
350. Wang, Xuefen; Min, Minghua; Liu, Zongyuan; Yang, Yin; Zhou, Zhe; Zhu, Meifang; Chen, Yanmo; Hsiao, Benjamin S., “Poly(ethyleneimine) nanofibrous affinity membrane fabricated via one step wet-electrospinning from poly(vinyl alcohol)-doped poly(ethyleneimine) solution system and its application” Journal of Membrane Science, 379(1-2), 191-199 (2011).
351. Ernesto Hernández-Hernández, Carlos A. Ávila-Orta, Benjamin S. Hsiao, Javier Castro-Rosas, José A. Gallegos-Infante, Juliana Morales-Castro, L. Araceli Ochoa-Martínez, Carlos A. Gómez-Aldapa, “Synchrotron X-ray scattering analysis of the interaction between corn starch and an exogenous lipid during hydrothermal treatment”, Journal of Cereal Science, 54, 69-75 (2011).
352. Xiaowei Li, Yimin Mao, Hongyang Ma, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “An In-Situ X-ray Scattering Study during Uniaxial Stretching of Ionic liquid/Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Blend”, Polymer, Polymer 52 4610-4618 (2011).
353. Yan-Hui Chen, Gan-Ji Zhong, Jun Lei, Zhong-Ming Li and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “In-situ Synchrotron X-ray Scattering Study on Isotactic Polypropylene Crystallization under the Coexistence of Shear Flow and Carbon Nanotubes”, Macromolecules, 44(20), 8080-8092 (2011).
354. Douglas M. Fox, Richard H. Harris Jr., Severine Bellayer, JeffreyW. Gilman, Mikhail Y. Gelfer, Benjamin S. Hsaio, Paul H. Maupin, Paul C. Trulove, Hugh C. De Long, “The pillaring effect of the 1,2-dimethyl-3(benzyl ethyl iso-butyl POSS) imidazolium cation in polymer/montmorillonite nanocomposites”, Polymer, 52, 5335-5343 (2011).
355. Min, Minghua; Wang, Xuefen; Yang, Yin; Liu, Zongyuan; Zhou, Zhe; Zhu, Meifang; Chen, Yanmo; Hsiao, Benjamin S., “Fabrication of micro-nano structure nanofibers by solvent etching”, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 11(8), 6919-6925 (2011).
356. F. Ania, F.J. Baltá-Calleja, A. Flores, G.H. Michler, S. Scholtyssek, D. Khariwala, A. Hiltner, E. Baer, L. Rong, B. S. Hsiao, “Nanostructure and crystallization phenomena in multilayered films of alternating iPP and PA6 semicrystalline polymers.”, European Polymer J., 48(1), 86-96 (2012).
357. Hongyang Ma, Christian Burger, Benjamin S. Hsiao, and Benjamin Chu, “Nanofibrous Microfiltration Membrane Based on Cellulose Nanowhiskers”, Biomacromolecules, 13(1), 180-186 (2012).
358. Zhao, Junchai; Wang, Zhigang; Niu, Yanhua; Hsiao, Benjamin; Piccarolo, Stefano, “Phase Transitions in Prequenched Mesomorphic Isotactic Polypropylene during Heating and Annealing Processes as Revealed by Simultaneous Synchrotron SAXS and WAXD Technique”, The Journal of Physical Chemistry, 116(1), 147-153 (2012).
359. Hongyang Ma, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu, “Ultra-fine Cellulose Nanofibers as Efficient Adsorbents for Removal of UO22+ in Water”, ACS Macro Letters, 1(1), 213-216 (2012).
360. Yimin Mao, Christian Burger, Xiaowei Li, Benjamin S. Hsiao, Aspy K. Mehta and Andy H Tsou, “Time-Resolved Synchrotron X-ray Scattering Study on Propylene-1-Butylene Random Copolymer Subjected to Uniaxial Stretching at High Temperatures”, Macromolecules, 45(2), 951-961 (2012).
361. Ran Wang, Yang Liu, Brandon Li, Anna Saito, Hongyang Ma, Dufei Fang, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu, “Electrospun Nanofibrous Membranes for High Flux Microfiltration”, J. Membrane Science, 392-393, 167-174 (2012).
362. You, Hao; Yang, Yin; Li, Xiong; Zhang, Kai; Wang, Xuefen; Zhu, Meifang; Hsiao, Benjamin S., “Low pressure high flux thin film nanofibrous composite membranes prepared by electrospraying technique combined with solution treatment”, Journal of Membrane Science, 394-395, 241-247 (2012).
363. Ling Xu, Chen Chen, Gan-Ji Zhong, Jun Lei, Jia-Zhuang Xu, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Zhong-Ming Li, “Tuning the superstructure of ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene/low molecular weight polyethylene blend for artificial joint application”, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 4(3), 1521-1529 (2012).
364. Bulent Ozbas, Shigeyuki Toki, Benjamin S. Hsiao, Benjamin Chu, Richard A. Register, Ilhan A. Aksay, Robert K. Prud’homme and Douglas H. Adamson, “Strain-Induced Crystallization and Mechanical Properties of Functionalized Graphene Sheet Filled Natural Rubber”, Journal of Polymer Science: Polymer Physics, 50, 718-723 (2012).
365. Wei-Fan Kuan, Raghunath Roy, Lixia Rong, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Thomas H. Epps, “Design and Synthesis of Network-Forming Triblock copolymers using Tapered Block Interfaces”, ACS Macro Letters, 1 (4), 519–523 (2012).
366. Yan Wang, Chen Chen, Jia-Zhuang Xu, Jun Lei, Yimin Mao, Zhong-Ming Li and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Suppressing of γ-Crystal Formation in Metallocene-Made Isotactic Polypropylene during Isothermal Crystallization under Shear Flow”, The Journal of Physical Chemistry, 116(16), 5056-5063 (2012).
367. Tureau, Maeva; Kuan, Wei-Fan; Rong, Lixia; Hsiao, Benjamin; Epps, III, Thomas, “Inducing Order from Disordered Copolymers - On Demand Generation of Triblock Morphologies Including Networks”, Macromolecules, 45(11), 4599-4605 (2012).
368. Hongyang Ma, Christian Burger, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu, “Highly Permeable Polymer Membranes containing Directed Channels for Water Purification”, ACS Macro Letters, 1(6), 723-726 (2012).
369. Sureerut Amnuaypornsri, Shigeyuki Toki, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Jitladda Sakdapipanich, “The Effects of Endlinking Network and Entanglement to Stress-Strain Relation and Strain-Induced Crystallization of Un-vulcanized and Vulcanized Natural Rubber”, Polymer, 53(15), 3325-3330 (2012).
370. Chen, Yan-Hui; Zhang, Zheng-Chi; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Tang, Jian-Hua; Li, Zhong-Ming “Microstructure and mechanical properties of isotactic polypropylene composite with two-scale reinforcement”, Polymers for Advanced Technologies, 23(12), 1580-1589 (2012).
371. Fanny Deplace, Arthur K. Scholz, Glenn H. Fredrickson and Edward J. Kramer, Yong-Woo Shin, Fumihiko Shimizu, Feng Zuo, Lixia Rong and Benjamin S. Hsiao, Geoffrey W. Coates, “Tough and elastic thermoplastic organogels and elastomers made of semi-crystalline polyolefin-based block copolymers”, Macromolecules, 45(13), 5604-5618 (2012).
372. Min, Minghua; Shen, Lingdi; Hong, Guishan; Zhu, Meifang; Zhang, Yu; Wang, Xuefen; Chen, Yanmo; Hsiao, Benjamin S., “Micro-nano structure poly(ether sulfones)/poly(ethyleneimine) nanofibrous affinity membranes for adsorption of anionic dyes and heavy metal ions in aqueous solution”, Chemical Engineering Journal (Amsterdam, Netherlands), 197, 88-100, (2012).
373. Xu, Huan; Liu, Chun-Yan; Chen, Chen; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Zhong, Gan-Ji; Li, Zhong-Ming, “Easy alignment and effective nucleation activity of ramie fibers in injection-molded poly(lactic acid) biocomposites”, Biopolymers, 97(10), 825-839 (2012).
374. Justin Che, Shigeyuki Toki, Juan L. Valentin, Justo Brasero, Adun Nimpaiboon, Lixia Rong and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Chain Dynamics and Strain-Induced Crystallization of Pre- and Postvulcanized Natural Rubber Latex Using Proton Multiple Quantum NMR and Uniaxial Deformation by in Situ Synchrotron X-ray Diffraction’, Macromolecules, 45(16), 6491-6503 (2012).
375. Yimin Mao, Christian Burger, Xiaowei Li and Benjamin S. Hsiao, Aspy K. Mehta, Andy H. Tsou, “Structure Development during Stretching and Heating of Propylene-1-Butylene Random Copolymer: A Combined 2D WAXD/SAXS Study”, Macromolecules, 45(17), 7061-7071 (2012).
376. Tsung-Ming Yeh, Liu Yang, Xiao Wang, Devinder Mahajan, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu, “Polymeric Nanofibrous Composite Membranes for Energy Efficient Ethanol Dehydration”, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, the Special volume: Pathways To A Low Carbon Society, Volume II, 4(4), 041406/1-041406/9 (2012).
377. Tang, Hu; Chen, Jing-Bin; Wang, Yan; Xu, Jia-Zhuang; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Zhong, Gan-Ji; Li, Zhong-Ming, “Shear flow and carbon nanotubes synergistically induced non-isothermal crystallization of poly(lactic acid) and its application in injection molding”, Biomacromolecules, 13(11), 3858-3867 (2012).
378. Amnuaypornsri, S.; Kawahara, S.; Toki, S.; Hsiao, B. S.; Hikosaka, M.; Sakdapipanich, J.; Tanaka, Yasuyuki, “Strain-included crystallization of un-vulcanized natural rubber measured by synchrotron X-ray diffraction”, Kautschuk Gummi Kunststoffe, 65(6), 46-50 (2012).
379. Xu, Huan; Zhong, Gan-Ji; Fu, Qiang; Lei, Jun; Jiang, Wei; Hsiao, Benjamin; Li, Zhong-Ming, “Formation of Shish-kebabs in Injection-Molded Poly(L-lactic acid) by Application of an Intense Flow Field", ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 4(12), 6774-6784 (2012).
380. Xu, Jia-Zhuang; Li, Zhong-Ming; Hsiao, Benjamin S., “Crystallization Properties of Isotactic Polypropylene-Graphene Nanocomposites”, RSC Nanoscience & Nanotechnology , 26 (Polymer-Graphene Nanocomposites), 227-251 (2012).
381. Yang Liu, Ran Wang, Hongyang Ma, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu, “High-Flux Microfiltration Filters Based on Electrospun Polyvinylalcohol Nanofibrous Membranes”, Polymer, 54(2), 548-556 (2013).
382. Espinoza-Martinez, Adriana Berenice; Ramirez-Vargas, Eduardo; Sanchez-Valdes, Saul; Ramos de Valle, Luis Francisco; Medellin-Rodriguez, Francisco J.; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Rong, Lixia; Zaragoza, Mario Valera, “Morphology and mechanical properties of heterophasic PP-EP/EVA/organoclay nanocomposites”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 128(5), 3473-3479 (2013).
383. Jong Kahk Keum, Yimin Mao, Feng Zuo and Benjamin S. Hsiao “Flow-Induced Crystallization Precursor Structure in High Molecular Weight Isotactic Polypropylene (HMW-IPP) /Low Molecular Weight Linear Low Density Polyethylene (LMW-LLDPE) Binary Blends”, Polymer, 54(4), 1425-1431 (2013).
384. Mao, Yimin; Li, Xiaowei; Burger, Christian; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Tsou, Andy H. “2D WAXS/SAXS Study on Isotactic Propylene-1-Butylene Random Copolymer Subjected to Uniaxial Stretching: The Influence of Temperature”, Polymer, 54(4), 1432-1439 (2013).
385. Mahati Elluru, Hongyang Ma, Michael Hadjiargyrou, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu, “Synthesis And Characterization of Biocompatible Hydrogel Using Pluronics-Based Block Copolymers”, Polymers, 54(8), 2088-2095 (2013).
386. You, Hao; Li, Xiong; Yang, Yin; Wang, Baoyi; Li, Zhuoxi; Wang, Xuefen; Zhu, Meifang; Hsiao, Benjamin S., “High flux low pressure thin film nanocomposite ultrafiltration membranes based on nanofibrous substrates”, Separation and Purification Technology, 108, 143-151 (2013).
387. Carlos Avila-Orta, Cristina Raudry-López, Mario Dávila-Rodríguez, Yrayda Aguirre-Figueroa, Maria Neira-Velázquez, Francisco Medellín-Rodríguez and Benjamin Hsiao, “Morphology, thermal stability and electrical conductivity of polymer nanocomposites of isotactic polypropylene/multi-walled carbon nanotubes”, International Journal of Polymeric Materials and Polymeric Biomaterials, 62(12), 635-641 (2013).
388. Che, Justin; Burger, Christian; Toki, Shigeyuki; Rong, Lixia; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Amnuaypornsri, Sureerut; Sakdapipanich, Jitladda, “Crystal and Crystallites Structure of Natural Rubber and Synthetic cis-1,4-Polyisoprene by a New Two Dimensional Wide Angle X-ray Diffraction Simulation Method. I. Strain-Induced Crystallization”, Macromolecules, 46(11), 4520-4528 (2013).
389. Wang, Yan; Xu, Jia-Zhuang; Chen, Yan-Hui; Qiao, Kai; Xu, Ling; Li, Zhong-Ming; Hsiao, Benjamin S., “Crystalline Structure Changes in Pre-Oriented Metallocene-Based Isotactic Polypropylene upon Annealing”, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 117(23), 7113-7122 (2013).
390. Toki, Shigeyuki; Che, Justin; Rong, Lixia; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Amnuaypornsri, Sureerut; Nimpaiboon, Adul; Sakdapipanich, Jitladda “Entanglements and Networks to Strain-Induced Crystallization and Stress-Strain Relations in Natural Rubber and Synthetic Polyisoprene at Various Temperatures”, Macromolecules, 46(13), 5238-5248 (2013).
391. Che, Justin; Locker, C. Rebecca; Lee, Sanghun; Rutledge, Gregory C.; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Tsou, Andy H. “Plastic Deformation of Semicrystalline Polyethylene by X-ray Scattering: Comparison with Atomistic Simulations”, Macromolecules, 46(13), 5279-5289 (2013).
392. Li, Xiaowei; Mao, Yimin; Burger, Christian; Che, Justin; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Kulkarni, Rahul R.; Tsou, Andy H. “The effect of comonomer content on structure and property relationship of propylene-1-octene copolymer during uniaxial stretching”, Polymer, 54(17), 4545-4554 (2013).
393. Zhang, Jin; Yin, Hua-Mo; Chen, Chen; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Yuan, Gui-Ping; Li, Zhong-Ming “High-pressure crystallization of poly(lactic acid) with and without N2 atmosphere protection”, Journal of Materials Science, 48(21), 7374-7383 (2013).
394. Wang, Ran; Guan, Sihui; Sato, Anna; Wang, Xiao; Wang, Zhe; Yang, Rui; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Chu, Benjamin “Nanofibrous microfiltration membranes capable of removing bacteria, viruses and heavy metal ions”, Journal of Membrane Science, 446, 376-382 (2013).
395. Zhang, Jin; Yan, Ding-Xiang; Lei, Jun; Xu, Jia-Zhuang; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Li, Zhong-Ming “Ultraporous poly(lactic acid) scaffolds with improved mechanical performance using high-pressure molding and salt leaching”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 130(5), 3509-3520 (2013).
396. Yoon, Kyunghwan; Lee, Ha Ni; Ki, Chang Seok; Fang, Dufei; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Chu, Benjamin; Um, In Chul, “Effects of degumming conditions on electro-spinning rate of regenerated silk”, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules (2013), 61, 50-57.
397. Liu, Zongyuan; Li, Xiong; Yang, Yin; Zhang, Kai; Wang, Xuefen; Zhu, Meifang; Hsiao, Benjamin S., “Control of structure and morphology of highly aligned PLLA ultrafine fibers via linear-jet electrospinning”, Polymer, 54(21), 6045-6051 (2013).
398. Tsung-Ming Yeh, Zhe Wang, Devinder Mahajan, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu “High Flux Ethanol Dehydration using Nanofibrous Membranes Containing Graphene Oxide Barrier Layer”, J. Mater. Chem. A, 1(41), 12998 – 13003 (2013).
399. Chen, Yanhui; Zhong, Ganji; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Li, Zhongming “Structure evolution upon uniaxial drawing skin- and core-layers of injection-molded isotactic polypropylene by in situ synchrotron X-ray scattering”, Journal of Polymer Science, Part B: Polymer Physics, 51(22), 1618-1632 (2013).
400. Zhang, Yumei; Wang, Huaping; Chen, Shenghui; Wang, Xiaofeng; Fang, Dufei; Burger, Christian; Che, Justin; Li, Xiaowei; Hsiao, Benjamin S., “Determination of Poly(4,4'-diphenylsulfonyl terephthalamide) Crystalline Structure Via WAXD and Molecular Simulations”, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, in press (2013).
401. Xu, Huan; Xie, Lan; Chen, Yan-Hui; Huang, Hua-Dong; Xu, Jia-Zhuang; Zhong, Gan-Ji; Hsiao, Benjamin S.; Li, Zhong-Ming “Strong Shear Flow-Driven Simultaneous Formation of Classic Shish-Kebab, Hybrid Shish-Kebab and Transcrystallinity in Poly(lactic acid)/Natural Fiber Biocomposites”, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, in press (2013).
Articles in Books, Encyclopedias and Reviews
1. B. S. Hsiao, R. S. Stein, S. Cohen-Addad, N. Weeks and R. Gaudiana, "Light Scattering Studies of the State of Dispersion in Molecular Composites", MRS Symp. Proc., Vol. 171, Polymer Based Molecular Composites (ed. D, Schaefer et al.), 125-130 (1989).
2. B. S. Hsiao and E. J. H. Chen, "Study of Trans-Crystallization in Polymer Composites". MRS Symp. Proc., Vol. 170, Interfaces in Composites (ed. C. Pantano et al.), 117-123 (1989).
3. B. S. Hsiao and M. T. Shaw, "Longitudinal Volume Viscosity Measurements in Polymers", in Encyclopedia of Fluid Mechanics (ed. N. P. Cheremisinoff), Vol. 9, Polymer Engineering, Chapter 18, Gulf, Houston, 561-588 (1990).
4. B. S. Hsiao and E. J. H. Chen, "Transcrystalline Interphase in Advanced Polymer Composites", in Controlled Interphases in Composite Materials (ed. H. Ishida), Elsevier, New York, 613-623 (1990).
5. B. S. Hsiao and K. H. Gardner, "Time-Resolved X-ray Studies of Crystallization and Melting in Poly(aryl ether ether ketone)", in Crystallization of Polymers (ed. M. Dosière), NATO ASI Series, Vol. 405, Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, 415-420 (1993).
6. K. H. Gardner, B. S. Hsiao and K. L. Faron, "Diffraction Studies of Polymorphism in Poly(aryl ether ketones)", in Crystallization of Polymers (ed. M. Dosière), NATO ASI Series, Vol. 405, Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, 443-448 (1993).
7. H. Ade, B. S. Hsiao, G. Mitchell, E. Rightor, A. P. Smith and R. Cieslinski, " X-ray Microscopy of Polymeric Materials", MRS Symp. Proc., Application of Synchrotron Radiation Techniques to Materials Science II, Vol. 375, 293-302 (1995).
8. S. Z. D. Cheng, R. M. Ho and B. S. Hsiao, "Poly(aryl ether ketone ketone)s and Copolymers (Synthesis, Structure, Morphology and Properties)", Polymeric Materials Encyclopedia (ed. J. Salamone), CRC Press, Vol. 7, 5532-5544 (1996).
9. P. Cebe and B. S. Hsiao, "Polyimid, New-TPI (Semicrystalline Thermoplastic)", Polymeric Materials Encyclopedia (ed. J. Salamone), CRC Press, Vol. 8, 6185-6198 (1996).
10. W. Wang, J. M. Schultz and B. S. Hsiao, “Microstructure and Phase Separation of PEEK, PEKK and Their Belnds”, MRS Symp. Proc., Morphological Control in Multiphase Polymer Mixtures (ed. R. Briber et al.), Vol. 461, 33-38 (1997).
11. E. Q. Chen, S. W. Lee, A. Zhang, B. S. Moon, I. Mann, F. W. Harris, S. Z. D. Cheng, B. S. Hsiao, F. Yeh and E. D. von Meerwall, “Isothermal Thickening and Thinning Processes in Low Molecular Weight Poly(ethylene oxide) Fractions Crystallized from the Melt. 7. Effects of Molecular Configurational Defects on Crystallization, Melting and Annealing” in Scattering from Polymers (P. Cebe, B. Hsiao and D. Lohse eds.), ACS Symposium Series, Oxford Press, 739,118-139 (1999).
12. W. Liu, H. Yang, B. S. Hsiao, S. S. Liu, B. T. Huang, R. S. Stein, “Real Time Crystallization and Melting Study of Ethylene Based Copolymers by X-rays and DSC Techniques”, in Scattering from Polymers (P. Cebe, B. Hsiao and D. Lohse eds.), ACS Symposium Series, Oxford Press, 739,187-201 (1999).
13. B. Chu, D. Fang and B. S. Hsiao, “Hair Test Results at the Advanced Polymers Beamline (X27C) at the NSLS”, Synchrotron Radiation News, 12, 36 (1999).
14. S. Phillips, R. Blankski, S. A. Srejda, T. S. Haddad, A. Lee, J. O. Lichtenhan, F. Feher, P. Mather, B. Hsiao, "New Insight into the Structure-Property Relationships of Hybrid (Inorganic/Organic) POSS Thermoplastics", Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. (2001), 628 (Organic/Inorganic Hybrid Materials), CC4.6.1-CC4.6.10.
15. B. Chu and B. S. Hsiao, "Small Angle X-ray Scattering of Polymers" in Chemical Reviews (Ed. J. Michl), 101(6), 1727-1761 (2001).
16. B. S. Hsiao and B. Chu, “Scattering: Light, Neutrons and X-rays” in Encyclopedia of Chemical Physics and Physical Chemistry (Eds. J. H. Moore. N. D. Spencer), Institute of Physics Publishing, London, B1.9, Vol. 12, 1197-1225 (2001).
17. B. S. Hsiao and B. Chu, "Chemical Applications of Small Angle Scattering" (Ed. T. K. Sham) Chemical Applications of Synchrotron Radiation, Part II, X-ray Applications, Advanced Series, in Physical Chemistry, World Scientific Publishing Company, Singapore, Vol. 12B, Chap. 17, 799- 849 (2002).
18. B. S. Hsiao, “Semicrystalline Polymers: Lamellar Morphology by SAXS”, in Encyclopedia of Materials: Science and Technology, Chapter 5.1.6, Elsevier Science, New York (2002).
19. Benjamin S. Hsiao, Benjamin Chu and Christian Burger, “Synchrotron X-ray Scattering of Polymer Nanocomposites”, Synchrotron Radiation News, 15(5), 20-34 (2002).
20. B. S. Hsiao, “Nanostructure Development in Semicrystalline Polymers by X-ray Scattering Techniques using Synchrotron Radiations”, in Mechanical Properties of Polymers relating to Nano-Structure and Morphology (ed. F. J. Balta Calleja and G.H. Michler), Chap 2, pp 27-79, CRC Press LLC (2005).
21. Lei Zhu, Lu Sun, Jianjun Miao, Li Cui, Qing Ge, Roderic P. Quirk, Chenchen Xue, Stephen Z. D. Cheng, Benjamin S. Hsiao, Carlos A. Avila-Orta, Igors Sics, and Marie E. Cantino, “Epitaxial Phase Transformation between Cylindrical and Double Gyroid Mesophases”, MRS Symp. Proc., in Multicomponent Polymer Systems-Phase Behavior, Dynamics, and Applications (ed. K. I. Winey et al.), Vol. 856E, BB2.3.1-6 (2005).
22. Jonathan Chiu, Y. Kim Luu, Benjamin S. Hsiao, Benjamin Chu, Michael Hadjiargyrou, “Electrospun Nanofibrous Scaffolds for Biomedical Applications”, J. Biomedical Nanotechnology, 1, 115-132 (2005).
23. Dufei Fang, Charles Chang, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu, “Development of Multiple-Jet Electrospinning Technology”, in Polymeric Nanofibers (D. Reneker and H. Fong eds.), ACS Symposium Series (918), Chapter 7, 91-105 (2006).
24. Christian Burger, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu, “Nanoﬁbrous Materials and Their Applications”, Annual Review of Materials Research, 36, 333–368 (2006).
25. Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Role of Chain Entanglement Network on Formation of Flow-Induced Crystallization Precursor Structure”, Progress in Understanding of Polymer Crystallization (Ed. G. Reiter and G. Strobl) in Lecture Notes in Physics, Springer-Verlag, 133-149 (2006).
26. Shigeyuki Toki and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Morphology, Structure and Mechanical Properties of Nanostructured Polyolefin Elastomers”, Polyolefin Blends (ed. D. Nwabunma and T. Kyu), Wiley Interscience, Chapter 8, 198-223 (2006).
27. Dehai Liang, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu, “Functional Electrospun Nanofibrous Scaffolds for Biomedical Applications”, Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 59, 1392–1412 (2007).
28. Benjamin Chu, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Kyunghwan Yoon, “Nanofiber and Nanocomposite-Fiber Technology for Environmental Applications” American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists (AATCC) Review, 8, 31-33 (2007).
29. Kyunghwan Yoon, Xuming Chen, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu, “Functional Nanofibers for Environmental Applications”, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 18(44), 5326-5334 (2008).
30. Pranav Nawani, Hongwen Zhou, Benjamin Chu, Christian Burger and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Structural analysis of biological and technical nanocomposites by X-ray scattering”, Applications of Synchrotron Light to Non-Crystalline Diffraction in Materials and Life Sciences (Ed. T. Ezquerra) in Lecture Notes in Physics, Springer-Verlag, 183-198 (2009).
31. Benjamin Chu and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “The Role of Polymers in Breakthrough Technologies for Water Purification”, J. Polym. Sci. Polym. Phys., as a Viewpoint 47(24), 2431-2435 (2009).
32. Christian Burger, Benjamin S. Hsiao, and Benjamin Chu, “Preferred Orientation in Polymer Fiber Scattering” Polymer Reviews, 50, 91–111 (2010).
33. Burger, C.; Hsiao, B. S.; Chu, B. “Preferred Orientation in Polymer Fibers” Powder Diffraction, 25(2), 212 (2010).
34. Christian Burger, Benjamin S. Hsiao, and Benjamin Chu, X-ray Scattering. In: Matyjaszewski K and Möller M (eds.) Polymer Science: A Comprehensive Reference, Vol 2, pp. 363–380. Amsterdam: Elsevier BV. (2012).
35. Benjamin S. Hsiao, Feng Zuo and Yimin Mao and Christoph Schick, Chapter 2: Experimental Techniques in Handbook of Polymer Crystallization (eds. Greg Rutledge and Ewa Piorkowska) (2012).
36. Shigeyuki Toki and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Deformation-induced structure changes in elastomeric nanocomposites”, Chapter 8, in Advances in Elastomeric Nanocomposites, Springer, Germany (2012).
37. Hongyang Ma, Benjamin Chu and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Functional Nanofibers for Water Purification”, Chapter 15, Functional Nanofibers and Applications (ed. Qufu Wei), Woodhead Publishing Series in Textiles, 134, 331-370 (2012).
38. Hongyang Ma, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu, “Electrospun Nanofibrous Membrane for Heavy Metal Ion Adsorption”, Current Organic Chemistry, 17 (13), 1361-1370 (2013).
39. Jia-Zhuang Xu, Zhong-Ming Li and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Crystallization Properties of Isotactic Polypropylene– Graphene Nanocomposites”, Chapter 10, Polymer-Graphene Nanocomposites, (ed. V. Mittal), Royal Society Of Chemistry, Cambridge, UK, in press (2013).
40. Jia-Zhuang Xu, Gan-Ji Zhong, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Zhong-Ming Li, “Low-dimensional Carbonaceous Nanofiller Induced Polymer Crystallization”, Prog. Polym. Sci., in press (2013).
41. Ran Wang, Benjamin S. Hsiao and Benjamin Chu, “Electrospun Nanofibers for Environmental Applications”, Chapter 13 Liquid Filtration, Electrospun Nanofibers for Energy and Environmental Applications (ed. Bin Ding and Jianyong Yu), Springer Publishing, submitted (2013).